Saturday, March 29, 2008

Inspiration

A couple of years ago Jenny Crain visited my office to help do some training on Leadership. I was lucky enough to have lunch alone with her one day. I really liked her. We had a lot in common. We are both from Milwaukee and the same age. Her day job was that of a business coach. She helped people in my business set goals and achieve them. During that lunch I picked her brain on the coaching subject. She was my inspiration to go through my company’s Certified Coaching program. She encouraged me to go through the program and offered to be my coach through the process if they would let her. I successfully completed that over a year ago and now, on top of my other work duties, I spend some time each month with a couple of people helping them set goals and achieve them. Even though she wasn’t my Master Coach I appreciate her encouragement. I really enjoy the coaching that I do and hope to do more of it in the coming years.

Her other job was that of a runner. She ran competitively since high school and was training, at almost 40 years old, to qualify for the Beijing Olympics this summer. During a training run in the rain last August, Jenny was hit by a car. She survived, but has a serious brain injury in addition to other physical problems as a result of the accident. I have been watching her progress over the last 7 months at a blog her family has been updating. (www.jennycrain.net)

I ran 5 miles today and when I was eating lunch checked the blog. I read about her courage and strength, goals and setbacks, achievements and victories. Again I am inspired. Jenny, I dedicate my first half marathon to you. I hope I finish. But even if I don’t, I know that it is the journey that is the achievement and sometimes you have to redefine your goals.

~peace

No comments: