Thursday, December 2, 2010

Keeping the Magic Alive

My oldest turns 7 next week, and it’s already happening. He is starting to hear his friends talk about the “Magic of Christmas” not being real. I’m going to have to work hard this year, it may be the last. I’m not ready for him not to believe. It makes me sad.

My husband and I are lucky to be able to spend time at my son’s school every week. At school the other day during snack, one of his classmates asked the kids at the table what they were doing for Christmas. Then he said that Santa wasn’t real. His mom told him. My heart sank. How could she do that? He’s only 6. One of the other kids at the table agreed with him. “Santa’s not real. I know,” she proclaimed.

My son looks at me with his eyes about to spill over and asks, “Mom he is real, isn’t he?” The other four children looked to me as well. My answer, “He is real to those who believe. I believe in him.” They looked so relieved. One of the girls said, “My mom even has his phone number!”

We have a wooden Advent calendar with 24 numbered compartments. My husband bought some chocolate to put in it. He didn’t hide it and the boys found it in the cabinet. I’ve always told the boys the chocolate appears magically. Yesterday, on the 1st, I put in the chocolate my husband bought. Oldest knew right away and asked if I put the candy in there. I admitted that I had. I told him that I’d brought the calendar up late and had to put it in there. I then got some new, unidentifiable by him, chocolates to put in there. This morning he woke up and right away opened the calendar. Beaming from ear to ear he announces, “It really is magic.”

See, he’s not ready not to believe in the magic of the season.

I need to start thinking of creative ways to keep him believing.

We have a Santa Key, because we don’t have a fireplace and he’s questioned how Santa gets in the house. Every Christmas Eve, we put the Santa Key outside our front door and every Christmas morning it key appears on the plate the cookies were on.

I’ve had friends tell me they go outside and make reindeer prints on the snow. We read and watch Polar Express. We see Santa every year at the same place and it’s always the same Santa. I love that I have 6 pictures on my kids sitting with the same Santa.

I’d love other suggestions. I need to keep the magic alive for a few more years. My littlest is only 4 and I’m really not ready for him not to believe.

~Peace
And
Ho, Ho, Ho

1 comment:

Loretta Nyhan said...

You guys are such good parents. Really.

Our youngest still believes. The oldest? Well, we had to have THE TALK this year, and that included everything from Santa to wearing deodorant. Uh-huh.