Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Goodnight Desdemona




Dear Desi

You came into my life almost 17 years ago. It was during a time that I was very sad. My previous cat friend had just died in my arms a month earlier. J and I went up north to the farm to get you. My sister had picked you out for me.

I loved you from the moment I saw you. You have beautiful black and white marking that resemble a cow and an endearing black mole to the left of your mouth. I knew right away that you would make a great friend. J and I didn’t want you to be lonely so we brought your brother home with us too. We named you Desdemona and your brother Iago. When most people heard your names they looked at me with curiosity. I would then offer them a dollar if they could tell me the origin of your names. No one could ever do it. Some people would guess it was Shakespeare but couldn’t pick the right play. It was a fun game.

For almost 10 years you and Iago were my babies. The first summer you lived with us J bought you and air conditioner because the apartment we lived in didn’t have air conditioning and it was very hot. You guys were troopers moving first from Milwaukee to Madison and then across the country to Salt Lake City. You hate car rides and both you and your brother were very vocal all the way across Iowa, Nebraska and Wyoming. But we made it and you settled in nicely.

I didn’t know how you would handle the new additions to the family, but you loved Oldest and Littlest. You were always shy, but never mean.

When Iago got sick a couple of years ago, I thought for sure we would lose him, but he pulled through. I never thought I would be saying good-bye to you first, but here we are. You have kidney failure and have lost so much weight. Your sparkle is gone and you don’t jump up on our laps and give that gentle mew. You look sad and tired.

Last night, you let the boys pet you and take pictures with you. I held you and cried and asked you to please let me know when it was time. I don’t want to see you go, but I’m ready. I know you will let us know when you are done. Thanks for your friendship and for being a part of our family.

I love you baby girl.

1 comment:

Jill Ponto-Miller said...

Lori, I just read this post. In response, will you read one of mine? It is titled "Good Standing," dated June 7, 2010, and can be found under the label 'Winkie's Death.' I am SO with you on this one, and the post does it much better justice than my ramblings.