Thursday, June 19, 2008

Speech Class

Oldest and I attended a weekly speech class over the spring. It was a group class at a local elementary school. Oldest loved it. I was not so impressed. GROUP SPEECH for preschoolers? I never felt like he was working on what he needed.

Today we start speech class up at the University. I'm curious to see how this class is run. I sure hope it will be more individualized. He has specific needs ( problems with th, ch and occasionally substituting the first consonant in a word, like tid for kid) and with encouragement and practice he'll get it.

Lately he's been having a running commentary on everything. He's talking all the time. Making up stories. He's always loved to hear us read to him, I really want him to learn to read himself. I'm hoping this class will give me some help teaching that.

We've gotten a summer activities book for Pre-K kids. He loves doing it. I showed him the certificate at the end of the book for when he finishes all the activities. He's determined to get that certificate quickly. Last night he did 8 pages of homework. I hope when he gets real homework in a few years that same excitement is there.

~Peace

No comments: